Natural Health Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 7-02/07/12

Another 2 pounds gone this morning...13 in 6 days! This is giving my motivation a huge boost! I had so much energy today, I just had to get out of the house. I needed to stock up on my last weeks worth of produce anyway, so off to Stevens Point I headed to bring a car full of groceries home.  Before I left I made my berry smoothie and a serving of mean green. Typically you need to drink your juice within 15 minutes of making it, or it begins to oxidize. Oxidation essentially spoils your juice, and when a fresh living juice is made the nutrients are all present during the first 15 minutes. After that the oxidation process is far along enough to effect the quality of the juice, primarily the depletion of the very important phytochemicals. This can obviously pose a problem when you need to be out of the house, whether it be for work or running errands. For me using a food processor vs. a juicer helps this a bit, as juicers, epsecially centrifugal juicers, don't cause as much oxidation to the fruits and veggies as a juicer. I believe this has to do with the speed and method of "crushing" (dicing or processing in a processor or blender). With this in mind, I figured if I could bottle the juice, filling it to the brim and capping it, that I could minimize the oxidation enough to make it last a couple hours. Even if some of the nutrients are no longer present, its still better than nothing! Shane suggested before capping the bottle to pierce through the juice with a knife, releasing the excess air, like in canning. Of course pouring the juice in slowly and holding your bottle at an angle to reduce the foam will help. So I prepared my mean green to go using this method and could tell no difference when I drank my juice two hours later.
When I got home I whipped up a glass of "V8" juice around 5:00 and mean green again at 8:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment